IVF, in vitro fertilization, is a treatment for those of us suffering from infertility, which means a procedure to get pregnant. The process of IVF is performed in a lab where mature eggs are collected from ovaries and let sperm fertilize in a culture medium. After 2-6 days of embryo culture, the fertilized egg (embryo) is transferred to the uterus by catheter.
About IVF Treatment
The first child who was born with IVF was Louise Brown, in 1978. The procedure was done at the place Rayton in Dr. Kershaw's Hospice hospital. In vitro fertilization is one of the trusted methods which help in conceiving. Many couples get pregnant without any fertility treatments, after IVF. The process of IVF is done with an IVF cycle occurring with one menstrual cycle.
- In the IVF cycle, firstly blood test has been done on day one of your menstrual cycle.
- After that on 2 and 3 days of the menstrual cycle, hormone treatment will start with medicine that stimulates your follicles so they produce several eggs.
- Then when your egg reaches a certain size, you will give yourself an injection containing hormones that make the ovary mature and release an egg.
- Your fertility specialist will collect your egg after 34 to 36 hours. A needle will insert into your vagina wall into the follicles to retrieve the eggs. On the same day, a semen sample will be collected from your partner. If it is not possible, you may also use frozen donor sperm.
- Healthy sperm and egg are kept overnight in an incubator. Sometimes you need IntraCytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), where a single healthy sperm is injected into a mature egg.
- After 3 to 5 days, your specialist will transfer an embryo into your uterus, it can be one or more times.
- Now you will need to wait for 2 weeks for your pregnancy test
Who Should Go for IVF?
The National Institution for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has fertility guidelines suggesting who should have access to IVF treatment. If you have any of these issues, you should consider IVF:
- Under-43-year-old women who have attempted to conceive through regular unprotected sex for two years and who have undergone 12 cycles of artificial insemination, at least 6 of which have involved the use of intrauterine insemination (IUI).
- Obstructed ovulation
- Continuous infertility
- Peritoneal adhesions
- Fallopian tube injury or occlusion caused by poor-quality semen
- Unknown causes of infertility
- Additionally, it might make it possible for embryos to undergo preimplantation genetic Screening (PGS).
Cost of IVF
Treatment for in vitro fertilization is accessible in all Indian states, including Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and others. The average cost of IVF in India ranges from INR 1,00,000 to 3,50,000, not including any testing, medicine, or extra procedures that may be needed. IVF is a very successful way of conception. IVF has a success rate of between 50% and 72%. Get in touch with the experts at Femmenest for more information on IVF.