PCOS is an endocrine system disorder that affects women's reproductive health. Typically, women with PCOS are overweight and struggle to reduce weight due to insulin resistance, although there is an increasing number of women with PCOS who are not overweight. A considerable percentage of women diagnosed with PCOS do not fit the stereotype of overweight or obese women with acne and facial hair. These women, on the other hand, are thin or lean, not overweight, and some show no indications or symptoms at all. This condition has medically been termed lean PCOS.
How to Treat Patients With Lean Pcos?
Weight loss, in this case, is not the aim. Rather, the focus should be on maintaining healthy body weight. At the same time, it must be ensured that the patient has no nutritional deficiencies and they do not develop all the complications of PCOS.
- Exercise: This is the main pillar of the lean PCOS treatment protocol. Exercise improves insulin sensitivity, develops muscle, improves the fat-muscle ratio in the body, and reduces central or visceral fat. Exercise and yoga reduce stress cortisol levels, thereby decreasing anxiety, which is mainly seen in patients with lean PCOS.
- Diet: The diet should aim towards reducing the fat percentage in the body, and not weight loss. The diet must be sustainable and seasonal for easier access and better results. It should be a good mix of macro and micronutrients, rich in lean proteins and good fats, and probiotics.
- Adequate sleep: There is enough evidence to associate PCOS with sleep disorders. So make sure that you sleep adequately and sleep deeply.
- Supplements: Vitamin D, vitamin B12, calcium, zinc, and inositol, all help in PCOS. However, you must take them only after consulting with your doctor.
- Medications: You could take the following medications after consulting with your doctor:
- Insulin sensitizers, in case insulin resistance has been diagnosed.
- Ovulation-inducing drugs, if you are having problems conceiving.
- Anti androgens, in case of hirsutism, hair fall, and acne.
- Oral contraceptives, in case of unmanageable irregular periods.
It often happens that lean PCOS patients are diagnosed very late or misdiagnosed. However, it is essential that we recognize the problem and take care of not only the existing issues but prevent all such problems in the future.
For a detailed consultation with the best PCOS doctor in Delhi, book an appointment at Femmenest now!